Online Portfolio

Thursday 2 April 2009

Behind the screen ...

Here is a shot I worked on from the film Hellboy 2 : The Golden Army. In this sequence, the character of Abe Sapien is being beaten up by the much bigger Mr Wink, but the action is partially obscured by a screen.



Abe and Wink Fight from Hellboy 2 from Brendan Body on Vimeo.

I thought it would be fun to show some of my playblasts that reveal what's going on behind that screen.


Playblasts of Fight I animated from Hellboy 2 from Brendan Body on Vimeo.

My initial version of this shot was much more realistic, with Wink punching Abe more and throwing him around much less. When it was reviewed by the director, Guillermo del Toro, he asked for something more extreme, wanting Abe to be thrown around like a rag doll. Specifically citing Bam Bam from The Flintstones (when he used to throw Fred around) as an example of the action he wanted.

These playblasts are not the finished animation, I animated this block of the fight, and the animation was finished off by another animator, Ina Hurst.

No comments: